The Local Authority is responsible for admissions to Egglescliffe School. The Published Admission Number for Year 7 is 235. If the school is oversubscribed, i.e. there are more applications for Egglescliffe School than places available, places will be allocated in the following order:-
- Pupils who are in the care of the Local Authority, or a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence or special guardianship order.
- Pupils with complex needs who have been discussed at the Moderating or Statements Panel and been identified as needing a ‘named’ primary or secondary mainstream school.
- Pupils who have a brother or sister living at the same address, who are still at the school when the pupil begins.
- Pupils resident within the admission zone who have returned a Common Application Form by the closing date. When a school is oversubscribed with in-zone applications i.e. there are more applications from children living in the admission zone of the school than there are places available, we will allocate places:
- firstly to children living in the admission zone (Criterion 4) with social or medical reasons for attending the school (Criterion 5);
- then to children living in the admission zone (Criterion 4) according to their distance from the school.
- Pupils who have social or medical reasons for being admitted to the school which would, should the child not be admitted, cause him or her to be seriously disadvantaged or put their personal safety at risk.
In all cases corroboration will be sought from independent sources such as a medical specialist who has had continuing involvement over a period of time; a social worker; an attendance officer; or another professional. It should be noted that places would not be allocated on the basis of aptitude or ability.
- Pupils who attend the nursery of the school they wish to attend on a full time basis (primary applications only)
- Pupils who live closest to a particular school measured in a straight line ‘as the crow flies’.
This policy is included in the ‘Admission to Secondary Schools 2017’ booklet, which also gives more detailed definitions of the criteria. The booklet is available at https://www.stockton.gov.uk/children-and-young-people/schools/school-admissions-and-transfers/ and in all Stockton schools and libraries.
Throughout the year we receive requests for pupils to join Egglescliffe in different year groups. All such transfers are dealt with by the Local Authority and the Headteacher. Decisions concerning transfers depend upon the number of pupils already on roll in the requested year group. Due to increasing pressure on numbers, places are not guaranteed to parents moving into the school’s admission zone, if the year group is already full.